Thursday, April 30, 2015

Getting Contractor Licenses in Washington, DC

Getting a contractor’s license in DC (general contractor or home improvement contractor) is complicated. It usually frustrates people a lot because the process is so arduous. Even figuring out which license is required can be confusing because of DC’s specific requirements, and in one case you actually have to get another license as a requirement to obtain the contractor license. A lot of time is involved, because multiple trips to the licensing agency can be necessary. Deciding what paperwork is required, including documents you have to provide, is baffling. Making things worse is that the licensing agency’s requirements are confusing at best and many of their specific requirements are either ambiguous or simply not listed at all in the information they give potential licensees. You even have to get the timing right, because if you don’t know everything, your documents might “expire” because the government requires them to have been issued within strict time frames. The DC Government’s requirements about contractor licenses are written into law, and the licensing agency cannot and will not make any exceptions.

At D.C. Registered Agent, however, we can make the process quite easy for you. Why not spend your time running your business and let our expert staff acquire the license(s) for you? Our professionals have been helping clients acquire contractor licenses in DC since 1994, so we’re very familiar with the application process and the government’s many requirements. We know the people at the licensing agency, which helps us cut through a lot of the red tape. We can handle everything by phone and email, and you’ll never have to leave your office or job to go stand in line at government agencies.

Don’t spend days lost in a perplexing government maze when D.C. Registered Agent, Inc. can do it for you. Call us today at 202.457.4299 or visit our website at

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

#WednesdayWisdom Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 27, 2015

#MotivationMonday “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” ― Barry Finlay

Friday, April 24, 2015

Why Do I Need a Certificate of Occupancy To Get a Business License in Washington, DC?

One of the requirements for obtaining a business license in DC is to submit a currently valid Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for your business space. This requirement applies to all companies or individual proprietors with any kind of office, storage, or any other space that is located in the District. If you have no kind of space for your business in the District of Columbia, you are exempt from this requirement.

A C of O (or, if the space is in your home, a Home Occupation Permit) is required to show that your business is using a building that meets building and zone code requirements for the building’s intended use.

Because a C of O can take a while to obtain, check this out early in your process. At D.C. Registered Agent, we can give you expert guidance on when you need a C of O, and whether you can use an existing one or will need to get a new one.

D.C. Registered Agent, Inc. has been representing clients only in the District of Columbia since 1994. Our professional staff can answer all your questions and help you get through the licensing process. Call us today at 202.457.4299 or visit our website at